MOHALI: Rising star of Indian cricket Shubman Gill was embroiled in a controversy when he got his dismissal overturned after arguing with the on-field umpire during Punjab’s Ranji Trophy encounter against Delhi on Friday, leading to stoppage of play for around 10 minutes.
The current white-ball captain of the India A team refused to leave the crease after he was adjudged caught-behind by slow medium bowler Subodh Bhati. An argument with the umpire followed and the batsman was reinstated after a discussion between the on-field officials.
Gill was batting on 10 then. Gill didn’t last long as he edged one off Simarjeet Singh to Anuj Rawat for 23 off 41 balls with the team’s score on 60.
“The straight umpire (Mohammed Rafi) had adjudged Shubman caught behind and the batsman then walked up to the umpire and was seen having an argument asking him to reverse his decision. The straight umpire then consulted the square-leg umpire (Paschim Pathak) and reversed his decision,” Delhi team manager Vivek Khurana told PTI.
Asked if there was any plan for a walk-out by the visiting side, Khurana absolutely denied any such move.
“Our skipper (Nitish) Rana just asked the umpires as to why they overturned the initial decision. We never walked out. The match referee (Ranganathan) came in and play resumed as usual,” Khurana added.
DDCA general secretary Vinod Tihara said: “The match was halted for seven to eight minutes. There was nothing untoward. Our boys felt that Gill was out and that’s why they asked the umpires why the decision was reversed.”
more from times of india Sports
- It’s actual face of Pakistan: Gautam Gambhir on Danish Kaneria’s discrimination27 Dec, 2019, 1849 hrs IST01:25
- Pakistan needs to educate their players: Madan Lal on ex-Pak cricketer Danish Kaneria row27 Dec, 2019, 1840 hrs IST01:45
- ‘No Pakistan player to be part of Asia XI in Bangladesh T20s’26 Dec, 2019, 1723 hrs IST01:21
- Ganguly-Dravid meeting, Injury-management on agenda26 Dec, 2019, 1301 hrs IST01:13
- India beat West Indies to clinch ODI series23 Dec, 2019, 1458 hrs IST01:05
- Rohit Sharma scores 2442, breaks 22-year-old record23 Dec, 2019, 1226 hrs IST01:09
- Ind vs WI Final: Plan was to bat till very end, says Jadeja23 Dec, 2019, 0910 hrs IST01:34
- Ind vs WI: Fans celebrate India’s victory in Cuttack23 Dec, 2019, 0908 hrs IST01:24
- Watch: Hardik Pandya shares video of his intense workout session21 Dec, 2019, 0800 hrs IST01:04
- Pani puri seller beats all odds, selected for U-19 World Cup18 Dec, 2019, 1614 hrs IST02:03